UNC-Chapel Hill Graduate

UNC-Chapel Hill Graduate

Monday, July 11, 2011

Shake Sum Shake Sum

I went to Club Duplex again with some Americans that I met. However, once again the club was not a good time. The music was not good and there were not many people there. I think that I am done with African clubs for my time here. However, the next night my hotel had a big BBQ with an African performance. I got to experience African dancing as well as African drumming. It was very entertaining. African dance is done through expression. Everyone has their own style and moves; it is a way for them to express their selves. At times I did get tickled because some of it looked really crazy, and no one would ever do this in the US, but I did appreciate the African culture. They tried to get me to come out and dance, but I did not. I can dance in America, but the African style is just not for me. One comparison that I made was that in Africa; they are never on beat, which is why it looks funny. In America everything is on beat, and if you get caught dancing off beat, you will be judged. So if you are someone who is never on beat, come to Africa, they will love to have you, and you will not be judged.

No comments:

Post a Comment