UNC-Chapel Hill Graduate

UNC-Chapel Hill Graduate

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Back to the Story

Abdul asked if I could help him with a few English words and I gladly assisted him. Abdul was very interested in American History; he spoke about the civil rights movement, Rosa Parks, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King Jr., and Obama. He told me that when Obama won presidency and became the 44th president, he was watching it on TV and he began to cry; he could never image that a black man could go from slavery to presidency in only 143 years. He inquired so much information about American History, and I happily explained it to him. It made me feel proud of America and how far we have come, although we do have a long way to go. I enjoyed exchanging cultures with Abdul, and I wish him the best with learning the English language.

No comments:

Post a Comment