UNC-Chapel Hill Graduate

UNC-Chapel Hill Graduate

Thursday, July 7, 2011

My New African Family

I visited one of my new Gambian friend’s compound (village) recently to meet her family. I met her two daughters, her mother and father, her brothers, and her sisters. There are about six of them that live together in the small compound. There was no carpet, decayed walls, and many bugs. However, they did have a very comfortable couch and a new Television set with great channels. The children were eating fruit and bread off the floor, and it seemed very natural to them. The family was so ecstatic to see Americans; Cherish and I answered many curious questions about America that they had. Ida’s daughter’s felt so comfortable around us, they performed many of their African dances for us, and we actually have it recorded. Ida’s daughters were very smart, they were ages 7 and 9 and could talk about almost anything. We took many pictures together; they really enjoyed getting their pictures captured. They automatically characterized us as their friends, because they are so friendly and open to new people. I really enjoyed spending my day with this family, they are in need of so much and I really want to get them help when I return to the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment