UNC-Chapel Hill Graduate

UNC-Chapel Hill Graduate

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I Am Warming Up To AFRICA




I met a woman name Ida, who is the sister of the housekeeper at my hotel. Ida braided my hair for me for very cheap and I was very thankful. During our time together, Ida and I talked about Africa and America. Ida is very poor, she has 2 children and she is trying to provide them with a good education. She has to pay 2,000 Dalasis a month for each child, which is about 70 U.S dollars. She said that she cannot afford this and that her younger child may have to stop going to school until she can get some help. I really felt bad for her and her children. An education is so valuable and all children should be presented the opportunity to get one; an education is the one thing that no one can take away from a person. Ida has invited me to her compound this Tuesday, she wants me to meet her family and she wants to cook me a REAL AFRICAN MEAL. Ida told me that I was her first American friend and that she was so happy to meet me. When I return to America, I am going to try to send Ida money so that her second child can get an education.
After breakfast this morning, a Gambian named Yerro picked Cherish and I flowers and brought them to us. They were lovely and unique. Later we attended a beach party. The Gambia’s beach party reminded me of Spring Break in MIAMI. There were tons of people all over the beach dancing and having a great time. There was also tons of different foods being sold. However, because this country experiences blackouts about ten times a day, the beach party had no lights. It was difficult for me to see my way around and there were dogs running around; if anyone knows me, they know that I am furious of dogs, so I had to leave the beach party early. I ate dinner at a place called “African Queen”, the food was ok. I have yet to experience a wonderful African meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment